The most powerful forum, United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations, charged with ensuring international peace and security, accepting new members to the United Nations and approving any changes to its charter. It was founded on the 24th of October 1945, and stationed in New York as its Head Quarters.
With its major functions and powers as below:
Under the United Nations Charter, the functions and powers of the Security Council are:
• to maintain international peace and security in accordance with the principles and purposes of the United Nations;
• to investigate any dispute or situation which might lead to international friction;
• to recommend methods of adjusting such disputes or the terms of settlement;
• to formulate plans for the establishment of a system to regulate armaments;
• to determine the existence of a threat to the peace or act of aggression and to recommend what action should be taken;
• to call on Members to apply economic sanctions and other measures not involving the use of force to prevent or stop aggression;
• to take military action against an aggressor;
• to recommend the admission of new Members;
• to exercise the trusteeship functions of the United Nations in “strategic areas”;
• to recommend to the General Assembly the appointment of the Secretary-General and, together with the Assembly, to elect the Judges of the International Court of Justice.
There are 5 permanent members: USA, Russia, UK, France, and China, having veto powers and other 10 members on rotation for a fixed tenure only.
It is observed that UNSC is dysfunctional or helpless in some cases to be resolved. Among them is Palestine. The issue, Kashmir issue, etc. In some cases, the US has not involved UNSC and just by-passing UNSC destroyed Iraq, Libya, and Syria. In some other cases, the US imposed sections on some countries unilaterally, without involving UNSC, and wanted the whole world should abide by the sanctions imposed by the US. However, UNSC has also resolved several issues and played a vital role in maintaining peace, security and resolved many issues too.
The helplessness of the UNSC is a misery and a pity. There are G-4 nations struggling to join the UNSC as permanent members, which includes Japan, Germany, India, and Brazil.
Pakistan opposes Indian efforts to join UNSC as a permanent member, even, Pakistan has challenged India’s qualifications for permanent or non-permanent membership of the UN Security Council, saying that New Delhi was in “blatant” violation of the 15-member body’s resolutions aimed at settling the decades-old Kashmir dispute.
India is a defaulter of the UNSC since 1948 and has not implemented the UNSC resolutions on Kashmir yet. India is the largest violator of human rights. India is involved in ethnic cleansing and genocide in Kashmir. Deployed 900,000 troops to siege 8 million people of Kashmir for more than 100 days. It might be not the longest curfew in human history, but it is the largest curfew where 8 million people are at stake and their life is at risk. No food, no electricity, no fuel, no medicines, no internet or phone facility. Draconian laws empowered troops to raid any house or any individual, detain, question, investigate, arrest, shoot at the spot, etc. Extrajudicial killings are a matter of routine. Rape has been used as a weapon.
Prime Minister Modi has rejected the US visa on charges of his alleged involvement in the massacre of Muslims in 2002 in Gujrat state when he was Chief Minister. He was also banned to travel to many European countries on the same charges.
A country, who is involved in war-crimes, defaulter of UNSC, extremist, and ruled alleged terrorists. One-third of legislators are involved in various kinds of crimes in India, a nation ruled by criminals. How can join UNSC?
Based on evidence and merit, Indian is not qualified for rotational membership of UNSC, and much much far away from permanent membership of UNSC. The world must realize the India of today, which has been hijacked by extremists and minorities are victims. Some of the countries might keep eyes on its big market of 1.2 billion, their economic interest might be with India, but it is appealed to judge India on over-all merit, please.